Larimer Humane Society is an independent nonprofit working to further the compassionate, safe, and responsible relationship between animals and people.
As an open door shelter, we believe all animals deserve a safe
place to go for shelter and care.
We believe that our role is to serve our community, both animals and
people, with respect, dignity, empathy, and kindness.
We will exercise the highest standards of ethics in all our
actions, fostering a culture of transparency, accountability, honesty, and fiduciary responsibility.
We believe our mission is best fulfilled through the exchange of ideas, talents, and contributions while practicing good and thoughtful communication.
We are committed to the safety of animals and people in our community and workplace.
Our Sheltering Philosophy
Socially Conscious Sheltering
Socially Conscious Sheltering is a compassionate, transparent and thoughtful model of how shelters can best support vulnerable animals, as outlined by the following principles:
- Place every healthy and safe animal.
- Ensure every unwanted or homeless pet has a safe place to go for shelter and care.
- Assess the medical and behavioral needs of homeless animals and ensure these needs are thoughtfully addressed.
- Align shelter policy with the needs of the community.
- Alleviate suffering and make appropriate euthanasia decisions.
- Enhance the human-animal bond through safe placements and post adoption support.
- Consider the health, wellness and safety of animals for each community when transferring animals.
- Foster a culture of transparency, ethical decision making, mutual respect, continual learning and collaboration.
Learn more about Socially Conscious Sheltering at scsheltering.org.