Step 1: Review the Volunteer Requirements
- All volunteers are asked to make a minimum six-month commitment to the shelter.
- Please note that most shelter volunteer positions require a minimum of two hours of service per week. Please check the volunteer position descriptions for age and time requirements.
- Volunteer Age Requirements:
- Volunteers between the ages of 10-15 are eligible to join our "Partner Up Program." Partner-Up teams consist of at least one adult (parent, guardian or trusted family friend) age 18 years or over and the child. Adult and child volunteer together.
- Beginning at age 16, children may volunteer independently at the shelter in select departments without a parent or guardian.
- We’re sorry, but due to the nature of our services, children under 10 years of age are not allowed to volunteer at the animal shelter. Children may participate by providing foster care to an animal if an adult age 18 years or over joins the Foster Care program.
Step 2: Sign up for an orientation
At each volunteer orientation, we provide an overview of Larimer Humane Society's programs and services, answer frequently asked questions about our shelter, review available volunteer opportunities, and provide animal handling training.
A $25 payment for your badge, t-shirt, materials, and training will be required during orientation sign-up. This payment is non-refundable unless your start of service is denied by Larimer Humane Society due to the inability to place you. If you are registering as a Partner-Up team, the parent/guardian and child must both register.
UPCOMING VOLUNTEER ORIENTATIONS (NOTE: You must pre-register for volunteer orientation):
Thursday, June 13th 5:30pm-7pm Sign Up Now!
Monday, July 22nd 5:30pm-7pm Sign Up Now!
Wednesday, August 14th 5:30pm-7pm Sign Up Now!
Thursday, September 12th 5:30pm-7pm Sign Up Now!
Step 3: Interview
After attending one of our volunteer orientations, prospective volunteers will be invited to interview with one of our department supervisors to discuss personal goals, daily responsibilities, and whether or not the position is a proper fit for the volunteer depending on availability and interests. Additional information regarding the interview process will be provided at the orientation.