Click on image to enlarge.
A new shelter will provide one location for shelter and administrative staff to improve efficiency and promote collaboration.
Larimer Humane Society leaders retained Animal Arts Design Studio, Inc. of Boulder, Colorado, a national leader in shelter design, to develop a schematic design for a new facility. Larimer Humane Society leaders used the following assumptions in developing a program for the new shelter:
- The building shall meet current PACFA (Colorado Department of Agriculture Pet Animal Care Facilities Program) regulations.
- The building shall implement best practices for biological risk management.
- The animal environments shall be designed using proven methods for reducing stress.
- The shelter shall be easy to operate and shall be designed to minimize maintenance.
- The interior and exterior spaces shall comply with current building codes, regulations, and handicapped accessibility laws.
- Human environments shall be designed to be welcoming.
To meet current program needs, provide capacity for seasonal variations in animal capacity, and provide for future growth in cat intake, the proposed new facility includes:
- An animal shelter building of approximately 33,362 square feet on the first floor, 3,791 square feet on the second floor, and 5,440 square feet of exterior yards. The total building footprint is 38,802 square feet.
Creating an inspiring shelter for our future.
- The new facilities are designed to meet the needs of both animals and people of Larimer County and will include:
- Intake, evaluation, and holding facilities for companion animals.
- Retail-quality adoption environments for companion animals.
- Quarantine and medical isolation facilities.
- A veterinary clinic for shelter animal health needs and spay/neuter procedures.
- Behavioral enrichment areas.
- A community education room.
- A retail store.
- Comfortable and efficient staff and volunteer areas.
- Administrative offices.
- Support facilities.
- A barn, paddock, and separate storage building.
- Dog walking paths.
Join us to create a better world for pets and people.
Our board of directors is currently exploring all options for funding for a new facility. Please check back for updates and to learn more about how you can help make this new shelter a reality.